Milk Thistle Extract
Min. 40% Silymarin (HPLC)
Key Benefits of Milk Thistle Extract
- Standardized to 40% Silymarin (HPLC)
- May help support liver function
- May assist with immune function
- May assist with cognitive function
What is Milk Thistle Extract?
Milk Thistle is a plant natively found in Europe. It is most commonly used for its potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, especially with its role in supporting and protecting hepatic function.
The seeds are used in the standardization of this plant extract for its active compound, silymarin. Silymarin is in fact the name for a group of various polyphenolic flavonoids or flavonolignans found in milk thistle seeds. These include:
- Silybin A & B / Silibinin
- Isosilybin A & B
- Taxifolin (a flavonoid)
Silybin A and B make up the majority of silymarin, accounting for around 70% of all the flavonolignans found in milk thistle extract.
What are the Benefits of Milk Thistle Extract?
Silymarin is said to assist with repairing damaged hepatic cells, and it is most commonly used as a liver support supplement. Silymarin inhibits hepatic damage by the following mechanisms:
- Acting as an antioxidant
- Increasing glutathione and superoxide dismutase
- Inhibiting formation of leukotrienes
- Stimulating regeneration of hepatocytes
Additionally, milk thistle extract is used to assist with immune function, brain function, skin health and blood sugar regulation.